Friday, May 27, 2011

Bad Luck, by David Whatley

Bad luck

I had a pain in the back last saturday night, to move was a terrible thing,
And try as I might, for the phone I did fight to give the doctor a ring.
I got halfway there, had to lean on a chair, the struggle was too much for sure,
I tried to sit down, missed the chair like a clown and ended up flat on the floor.

Face up there I lay for what seemed like a day, unable to move any more,
My back was in pain but I tried once again to crawl to the living room door.
I started with ease to get to my knees, with great care I thought I was able,
Though white as a sheet to stand on my feet, but fell over my new coffee table.

Back on the floor I fell with a roar, the table beneath me destroyed
And the pain in my arm did nothing to calm the feeling of being annoyed.
I rolled on my back, heard a loud crack and with a sense of familiar dread,
Put my hands to my face, with a slow moving pace, found a lump on the back of my head.

I lay still for a while quite unable to smile, the pain in my arm hurt so much,
My legs were like jelly, I hurt in my belly and the lump on my head hurt to touch.
My eyes were unblinking as I lay there just thinking of how to get out of this fix,
Lying there prone, just wanting to phone the doctor with his black bag of tricks.

It took over an hour with mood very sour before I could manage to stand,
I grabbed for the door and with arm very sore slammed the bloody thing shut on my hand.
My hand it did swell and I gave out a yell, my headache grew worse by the minute,
My language turned blue as my fingers did too on the hand with the pain deep within it.

I limped back to the chair by taking great care not to trip,not to stumble or fall,
But my hand lost its grip and I started to slip and crashed into the living room wall.
My knees took the force of the impact of course, my legs buckled and slowley gave way,
Like Titanic before, I sank to the floor and decided that's where I should stay.

Three hours have passed and I'm simply aghast at this story I venture to tell,
To cure just one pain, four more now remain and I'm still on the floor where I fell.
A lump on my head, bad arm, hand and leg and damage that's second to none,
I lie on the floor behind a closed door but the pain in my back has now gone.
15th March 2005


Theme; You have to go through the small steps to accomplish the big problem.
Poetic Devices; Rhyming


No comments:

Post a Comment